Thursday, September 29, 2016

Rekindling

Zach stood up from the high top as I approached it, and pulled my chair out.  I hopped up on it and sat down, and he slightly pushed it back in.


I smiled cautiously.  I was nervous, though I don't know why.  We sat there awkwardly, quietly for a few minutes and then we both spoke at the same time.


"How are you?"
"How's medical school?"


We laughed, and he re-asked how I was.


"I'm doing really well.  I've been extremely busy between work and then still teaching tennis lessons at the racquet club."


"Oh yeah, I forgot you were still at the racquet club.  Have you been playing much?"


"Not as much as I'd like.  I do play in a league weekly, though.  We have matches every Thursday night."


"My parents tell me that your family is doing well, and that Tom has a new girlfriend?"


I laughed.  "Yeah, funny story.  Tom is back at Purdue, however, he does have a new girlfriend.  No more momfriend.  He's dating Victoria.  Funny, right?"


His eyes widened.  "Isn't that weird for you?"


I wrinkled my nose at him. "Kinda.  They're doing the long-distance thing for now since Tommy only has 2 years left at Purdue and then who knows where he'll end up.  Plus, she is finishing up her degree, too, and there's no point in transferring now.  I see her more frequently, though.  My parents invite her to all the family things.  How are your parents?"


"Ben and Gloria are fabulous," he grinned at me.  "They're looking at houses in Arizona and Florida right now."

"What!" I yelped.  "Do my parents know?  I can't believe they won't be their neighbors anymore!"


"Oooh, no no no," he quickly replied.  "For winter homes.  I guess with me back here for the foreseeable future, they have someone to watch the house in the winter."


"Oh.  Ok.  That makes sense."


We both took a moment to finish our drinks.  Then, again, we spoke up at the same time.


This time I repeated myself.  "So, I don't mean this in a bad way, but why did you want to get together?"


"Well, I thought it would be good to catch up."


Just like Zach could read me like a book, I could also read him.  I cocked an eyebrow at him.  "Really?"


He sighed.  "Yes, really.  That, and I do miss you."


"Zach, I'm getting married," I quietly said, looking at my hands.


"I know.  I don't mean like that. I mean, I would mean like that if you were single," and he smiled.  "But you aren't and I'll respect that.  I'd really like to get to know Aaron, if that's okay with you?  I mean, he is marrying my favorite Husker."


I rolled my eyes but blushed.  "I'd really like that.  You've been my friend forever."


He reached across the table and squeezed my hand.  I tried to ignore the feel of his skin against mine.


We spent another half hour or so catching up, and then went our separate ways.


When I got home, Aaron was making dinner.


"Hey, babe!  I didn't know you'd be home already."


He grinned and made his way to me, wrapping an arm around my waist and kissing me quickly on the forehead.  "I missed you.  Where were you?"


I hadn't told Aaron that I was meeting Zach for drinks after work.  "Well, um, I had drinks with a friend after work."  Aleah, what is wrong with you.  Do NOT lie to this man, I internally scolded myself.  "And by friend, I mean Zach."


He raised his eyebrows at me.  "Oh yeah?  And how was that?"


"It was oddly good.  He had asked me to get drinks a couple weeks ago, and we just now were able to make it work.  I wasn't sure what he wanted, but it turns out he has missed our friendship and wants to get to know you.  I'm so sorry I didn't tell you beforehand."  I was rambling.


"Aleah, I am not mad," he laughed.  "I know he was a big part of your life for a long time.  I trust you.  And if he's that good of a guy that you two were together for so long, then I would be more than happy to get to know him."


I sighed a breath of relief.  "Excellent.  I'll try to set something up sometime.  By the way, it smells amazing, what are you making?"


"Shrimp risotto.  There's a glass of wine sitting there for you."


"Thanks!  I'm going to go change, and then I'll be back."  I grabbed the glass of wine off the counter and headed back to the bedroom, more anxious than I probably needed to be about rekindling my friendship with Zach.

6 comments:

  1. I hate myself for missing Zach haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope! If Zach admitted he would like to rekindle something "if" Aleah wasn't single, she needs to just let him go. Nothing good will come of Zach entering into her life with Aaron! Can't wait to see where this goes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Idk... I can't say that I've ever really been "Team Aaron", but since Aleah has SO much history with Zach, I'm a bit squeamish about this

    ReplyDelete
  4. #teamzach.... He's her lobster!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What you're saying is completely true. I know that everybody must say the same thing, but I just think that you put it in a way that everyone can understand. I'm sure you'll reach so many people with what you've got to say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I certainly agree to some points that you have discussed on this post. I appreciate that you have shared some reliable tips on this review.

    ReplyDelete